On Saardé's Shared Table: Pappardelle with Duck and Porcini Ragù
from Sagra Restaurant
Pappardelle with Duck & Porcini Ragù
2 duck Marylands legs
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
60g dried porcini, rehydrated in 100ml hot water
250ml red wine (nothing overly oaky)
1 can of crushed tomatoes
400ml chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs thyme
100ml whole milk
400g pappardelle pasta
Parmesan, grated 25g
Salt & Pepper
1. Place a large pot on high heat. Coat the bottom of the pot with olive oil add the duck and brown it on both sides. Remove from the pot and set aside in a bowl.
2. Lower the heat to medium, add onions, celery & carrot and cook for 15mins while stirring every 2mins.
3. Deglaze the pot with red wine while using a wooden spoon to scrape off anything stuck to the pot. Add porcini, stock, bay leaf, thyme then return the duck as well as any juices left in the bowl and season adequately. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook for 2 hours.
4. Remove the duck and bay leaf from the sauce, cool it down then remove the bones. Shred meat with a fork and finely chop the skin.
5. Add meat and skin back to the sauce along with milk and garlic, and simmer for 5mins.
6. Cook pasta to desired texture, drain and stir through the sauce with butter. Check the seasoning then serve with grated parmesan.